The Daisy red dot sight (the best price I've seen was about $8 at Walmart, but last I checked, my local stores didn't have it) makes a decent non-magnifying finder for telescopes. I have them on two of my reflectors, and the third reflector has the Galileo version. Mounting requires a dovetail. One option is to take a piece of wood of the right thickness, and then file a roughly shaped dovetail. Another option is to take a piece of wood, and screw on washers of the right size for the dovetail to fit around. It's a good idea to mount it offset from the scope for comfort.
A few modifications make the Daisy finders nicer to use.
2. Altitude/azimuth adjustment. The stock sight needs a screwdriver for adjustment. Since the sight needs to be adjusted from time to time (or even every time, as on my 13" split-tube scope), and using a screwdriver in the dark is no fun, it would be nice to have tool-free alignment.
The only issue is that (as of Sept. 4, 2010) the price on the screws has gone up to about $6. Fortunately, they still have a pack of 50 of white versions of these screws for 82 cents. If you have Amazon prime, or are doing a $25 order, the shipping will be free. (If you can't get free shipping, you can paypal me the price of a stamp and if I still have enough, and there aren't too many requests, I can send you two of the black ones. And maybe even a resistor if you want.)
3. Removing coating. The stock sight comes with a lens that's coated with a dark reflective coating. The sight is still usable, but you can't see dimmer stars through the lens. That's not a big problem as you can keep both eyes open and see the stars with the other eye, but stripping out the coating is a nice idea. This was hard work--about an hour for each sight I did this to. And one of my sights now points differently from before--I don't know why. To get it aligned with the scope, I had to angle the dovetail mount on the scope quite a bit. The image also isn't as neat a dot (and some have seen ghost images). All in all, I still think it's an improvement, though just barely worth it given the work.
Now, it's time for the hard work of polishing off the coating. I don't have a satisfactory method. I used two different polishing compounds: toothpaste plus water, and baking soda plus water. Generally, I first did the toothpaste, and then moved on to the baking soda. I applied them with denim. I did this by hand, which was slow and inefficient. The other thing I tried was to wrap the cloth with polishing compound around the handle of a screwdriver, duct tape it into place, load the screwdriver blade into a drill, and run the drill. Eventually, you notice that the coating in the middle is disappearing. It's really frustrating to get every spot off near the edge. Some you may just want to live with. Once done, wash, dry and put back in.