Sunday, December 19, 2010
My Treo 700P has keys that light up. One can turn that off, but then it's a nuisance to type things in. So I ordered a piece of Rubylith from ebay, about 8x11 in size. The lights come from little white LEDs on the same board that the dome switches are on. And I reddened the lights, as can be kind of seen in the photo.
disassembled the Treo (not my first time). My initial thought was to just put a piece Rubylith over where all the lights were, but that would cover up the dome switches as well and that wouldn't be good. My next thought was just to use red marker over the white LEDs. But that isn't very effective. Finally, I cut strips of Rubylith about 1.5mm wide, and snipped them into lengths of about 5mm, and glued them over the LEDs. The photo on the right shows about half of them done.
I had to do two cleanup things. Two of the Rubylith pieces protruded close to a dome switch (bumps in the white plastic in the photos), and I snipped the ends with nail scissors. Also, I had accidentally dropped a Rubylith piece with glue on it, and so there was a glue spot on a dome switch. I was afraid this would harden, so I cleaned it up with acetone.
It all works. For some reason, the center of the five-way switch is not as clicky as it was, but it works. Also, the lights are a bit pinkish rather than deep red, but I am pretty happy. I rarely use a phone at a dark site, but sometimes I need to.
I was also going to make a screen overlay from the Rubylith, and I may still do that, but it blurs the image annoyingly, making small fonts hard to reed. I may eventually get a sheet of Roscolux medium red gel filter (I tried the small one in my sampler pack, and while it perhaps isn't quite dark enough, and is more fragile than the Rubylith, it preserves sharpness much better).