I've found it a nuisance to take eyepieces in and out of bolt cases. Moreover, the amount of time it takes to pack up everything at the end of an observing session limits the length of the session. So I decided to make one of those eyepiece cases where the eyepieces sit naked and can be used right out of the box. I initially planned to make a plywood box, but decided that would be too heavy. Instead, I picked up a Harbor Freight steel and plastic toolcase (like this one, but maybe slightly smaller) for a low price, and made a plywood insert. Unfortunately, the case was stinky. The plastics in it were off-gassing. It took about seven weeks of ventilation until it became usable (obviously, I don't want off-gassing onto optics). Finally, today, I put the insert in--gluing it in place with silicone glue and putting some screws in.
It includes space for 1.25" and 2" eyepieces (the laser collimator occupies one of the 1.25" slots). In the middle there is room for filters. I drilled two holes through all my slide-mounted Rosco gel filters, and put machine screws pointing upwards on the insert for the filters to sit on. The fit is good. My ND and OIII filters are in a plastic box attached with Velcro (or maybe a generic hook and loop fastener) to the insert. Finally, on the right side, there is room for my battery box (for driving fans or giving extra power to PDA), geen laser, flashlights and spare batteries. I am quite pleased. But since the silicone is still off-gassing, I took everything out after taking the photo.